Prologue to Romeo and Juliet
1. Read the text around the circle (1 line each)
2. Ask what is the Prologue's function?
Discern what it's about
Sets the scene
(Shakespeare written to be performed not just read)
3. Go around circle again, What does your line mean to you?
i.e "A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life."
Zodiac sign - Love sick in the God's. Commit Suicide.
4. "From ancient grudge break to new mutiny."
Modern day examples Israel, N Ireland. Personal examples
5. Look for ways to deliver the text - Find a gesture or a series of gestures for your line.
6. Exaggerate or heighten it.
7. Try again - Pick up what was said about each line and use this to keep story moving along. Allow actions to influence voice.
What is the difference between the first reading and last i.e. energy, Is it clearer to understand?